Being a family caregiver for your elderly parent means being there for them to help them with their challenges, limitations, and needs to preserve their health, safety, and well-being as they age. Sometimes, however, this doesn’t mean directly managing these needs yourself, and instead relying on the help that is available to you. Delegating specific tasks to a home care provider can be an extremely effective way to make sure your elderly loved one gets all of the care and support they need to manage their challenges and limitations in the ways that are right for them. This can be particularly beneficial when it comes to potentially sensitive tasks such as bathing. Many elderly adults struggle with challenges that keep them from being able to bathe independently and safely. An in-home senior care services provider can help your parent to manage this task in respectful, dignified, and effective ways to take this pressure off of you and your care routine.
Some of the ways that bathing assistance from a home care provider can benefit your aging loved one, and you, include:
- Providing distance and a sense of modesty if this type of care effort is uncomfortable for you or your aging parent. Your senior might struggle with discomfort at the idea of having their adult child help them with bathing, but may be more willing to accept such assistance from a neutral professional. This eases this stress for both of you.
- If you have physical challenges and limitations that compromise your strength, balance, flexibility, or range of motion, it could be dangerous for you to try to help your parent in the bath or shower. A care provider can offer this type of care to help keep both your senor and you safe.
- Encouraging independence is one of the most important things you can do as a family caregiver to boost your senior’s quality of life and preserve their well-being as they age in place. This can mean giving them more time to manage tasks, and support to help them handle tasks effectively and as much on their own as they can. A care provider can take as much time as needed to take care of these tasks, allowing your parent to manage more on their own without putting pressure on your schedule.
Simply because your aging parent is dealing with challenges and needs as they age doesn’t mean they shouldn’t be able to live a life that is fulfilling and meaningful. As a family caregiver, your responsibility is to help your parent manage their needs in a way that is supportive and that encourages them to still be them and enjoy life. Bringing home care into their routine can help. An in-home senior care services provider is a fantastic resource for both of you, allowing you to delegate care tasks and your parent to stay more independent. This provides better health and well-being, and a higher quality of life for both of you.
If you or an aging loved one are considering hiring professional home care in Vestavia Hills, AL, call and talk to the staff at Lipford Home Care (205) 623-5700.
They have three teenage children and are actively involved in their church and community – both teach high school Sunday school while Dennis coaches youth sports and Kelly leads a women’s Bible study. Dennis & Kelly personally manage the daily activities of the company.
It is their passion and commitment to providing quality and responsive service that has made their company the fastest growing home care agency in Birmingham.
They believe that being an independently owned and operated company gives them the flexibility to manage their business in a way that better serves their clients.
They understand you have a choice in care providers and they will do their utmost to earn your trust.
Latest posts by Dennis and Kelly Lipford (see all)
- What Can Your Senior Expect in the Early Stages of Alzheimer’s Disease? - May 7, 2019
- Protecting Your Loved One from the Dangers of Bug Bites - May 2, 2019
- Beyond Medication for Your Senior’s Blood Pressure - April 23, 2019