Loss is something that all elderly adults have experienced. The impact of loss can be particularly strong when it is the loss of their partner. When their wedding anniversary comes around they are likely to feel grief and difficult emotions that can put them at risk for depression that can have a lasting negative impact on their health and well-being as they age. As their family caregiver you can help them to avoid these serious consequences by supporting them through difficult times and encouraging them to cope with their emotions in healthy and meaningful ways.
Use these tips to help you acknowledge your parent’s anniversary in a meaningful and supportive way:
- Plan activities in the days leading up to, and the days following, the anniversary so that your parent has something to look forward to, and is distracted.
- Plan a special activity to honor the specific day, such as bringing your parent to eat at a restaurant that was a favorite of your parents when they were dating or early in their marriage. Take this as a time to talk about your parent and share stories and memories.
- Consider bringing out mementos of the marriage, such as wedding pictures, to decorate the house and spur conversations and memories.
- If your parent cannot leave their home or you want to continue the celebration and honor at their house, consider playing music from their wedding or the time of their wedding, serve a meal that is close to what they enjoyed that day, and offer a toast to the time that they had together and all of their wonderful memories.
- Find a way to commemorate the day that you can revisit each year, such as dedicating a park bench, planting a tree, or visiting a particular location.
If you have been looking for ways to enhance your aging parents quality of life, now may be the ideal time for you to consider elder care for them. An elderly home care services provider can be with your parent on the schedule that is right for them, ensuring that they have continued access to the level of care, support, and assistance that will enable them to manage their individual challenges and limitations while still enabling you to manage their care routine. This means that they are able to pursue a lifestyle that is as independent, fulfilling, and healthy as possible while still enjoying a meaningful relationship with you during their later years. As their family caregiver, this can give you tremendous peace of mind knowing that they have everything that they need both when you are with them and when you are not.
If you or an aging loved one are considering hiring professional elder care in Trussville, AL, call and talk to the staff at Lipford Home Care (205) 623-5700.
They have three teenage children and are actively involved in their church and community – both teach high school Sunday school while Dennis coaches youth sports and Kelly leads a women’s Bible study. Dennis & Kelly personally manage the daily activities of the company.
It is their passion and commitment to providing quality and responsive service that has made their company the fastest growing home care agency in Birmingham.
They believe that being an independently owned and operated company gives them the flexibility to manage their business in a way that better serves their clients.
They understand you have a choice in care providers and they will do their utmost to earn your trust.
Latest posts by Dennis and Kelly Lipford (see all)
- What You Should Know About National COPD Month - November 27, 2018
- How to Avoid Senior Slip and Fall Accidents This Winter - November 19, 2018
- National Family Caregivers Month Honors Selfless Service - November 13, 2018